For The Cupcakes (12)
– 170g/6oz Margarine
– 170g/6oz Self-Raising Flour
– 170g/6oz Caster Sugar
– 3 Eggs
For The Buttercream Icing (For 12 Cupcakes)
– 140g/5oz Butter
– 280g/10oz Butter
– Splash of Water (if needed)
– Caramel Sauce (I use Treatz)
– Fudge Pieces (I used a bag of Tesco’s Dairy Fudge)
For The Cupcakes
– Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4/160°C. Place 12 muffin cases into a tin.
– Mix together all of the caster sugar and margarine. Mix until it’s at a lighter consistency and has turned a lighter colour.
– Add one egg to the mixture at a time and stir in.
– When all three eggs have been added to the mixture; add a small amount of self-raising flour into the mixture at a time and stir. Carry on this until you have mixed in all of the self-raising flour.
– Fill each cupcake case 3/4 full of the mixture.
– Then bake for 15-20 minutes or until risen and golden brown. The cooking time can depend on the type of oven you use.
(TIP: to make sure they are cooked insert a skewer or a cocktail stick into the middle of the cupcake. If this comes out clean with no mixture then the cakes are cooked.)
For The Buttercream
– Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
– Add the butter and stir until soft consistency.
(TIP: I’d recommend having a thicker consistency of icing if your going to use a piping bag. Although if you think it’s too thick you can add a splash of water.)
– Cut fudge pieces into small chunks to sprinkle over your cupcakes.
– Drizzle a small amount of Caramel sauce on the top of your cupcakes.
(TIP: all of this is optional! It’s entirely up to you how you decorate. This was just the way I did it.)
This is my own recipe and measurements for the cupcakes and butter icing. This is what my mum taught me as I was growing up. I’m in no way an expert on baking nor do I claim to be!
Please let me know if you try out this recipe. If you do tag me in a picture of them on instagram or tweet me a picture of them. I’d love to see how they turn out.
Thank you for reading,